If I Dont Have the Answers Google Might Do!

Google

Tuesday 8 April 2008

Tying Flies



Andy at andyfishing.blogspot.com called me on Friday past to tell me he had tied some of his own flies and wanted me to join him in a spot of fishing to see what they were capable of. However I was unfortunately stuck working an all day shift at work which saw me folding paper. (Maybe I should put a post up to show how this exotic task is done!)

I digress. Andy managed to catch 2 trout using an orange cats whisker. (See the story here)

It got me thinking and spurred me into action. How does one tie a fly. To answer this question I visited probably Irelands best fly tier Frankie McPhillips in his shop in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh. He recommended a book writin by Terry Griffiths called a Beginner's Guide to Fly Tying and a bag of materials which accompanied this book. Frankie was lucky he caught me on a day where I couldn't care less what I spent money on so I took it off his hands.

Maybe once my vice and assorted Flytying tools arrive I will put this book to the test and have a sort of mini review somewhere in this blog.

Anyhow the punchline of this post is that I found some brilliant Flytying videos for the real beginner that make it all look so easy.

All the videos can be found here from topflyman

This is a sample of what he has in store for you.



I found these videos inspiring and cant wait to tie some flies and catch some trout!

1 comments:

thebigandyt said...

OMG it's so fiddly, but stick with it, it's very rewarding.