If I Dont Have the Answers Google Might Do!

Google

Friday 11 April 2008

Tying a Woolly Bugger with the Terry Griffiths Book


Ok I have to admit, this is starting to get a little bit easier. I decided to tackle something with a little bit more going on. An olive Woolly Bugger. This is one of the most popular lures in a fly-fishermans box.

This fly needed me to be able to first tie the thread on, tie on some lead, then tie on some maribou tail with a sparkle bit, a gold wire, some pipe cleaner looking stuff and of course ye olde hackle.

The vice I got was pretty good for the money I'd like to point out. I bought it for £11.00 at FastMail Tackle.

There were some issues tying this fly, firstly my tying thread snapped. I ended up taking the pipe cleaner off and rethreading a new one on. The instructions were very clear and concise again, and the photos in the book really helped me understand what I was to do.

I must say I am starting to like this book. Maybe next week I will be ready to start in the world of Dubbing. If you have any tips for me as I tie my flies please leave a comment. This is only my 4th fly. I started tying yesterday! If I can do it, then anyone can.

If you are a fly fisher I would definitely recommend tying your own flies, it adds a whole new dimension to the sport. Its the difference between a McDonalds ready made predictable meal and a Slap up dinner at a posh restaurant. You know what you get with McDonalds and enjoy it but theres always something missing. With a slap up dinner you might not like it but you appreciate the ingredients that went into it.

I love analogies.

3 comments:

thebigandyt said...

looking good, you should try tying in batches, makes sense when you got the material out ready. also your last one will look amazing

thebigandyt said...

hey are we going fishing tomorrow, whats the craic? killylane was apparnetly stocked yesterday. although anywhere is good

thebigandyt said...

did you tie any more?